SERVPRO Insider – April 2022
Our newest quarterly newsletter is here!
Our newest quarterly newsletter is here! The SERVPRO Insider gives an inside look at what SERVPRO Team Miller has been up to!
In this issue, we’re highlighting a large fire loss in our Shiawassee territory. A local restaurant experienced a fire in the middle of the night that affected four other local businesses. Our SERVPRO team was on site starting the board up and mitigation process within hours. The surrounding businesses are currently smoke and water damage free and operating as normal.
Get an inside look at the cleanup of one of the large loss jobs our Disaster Recovery Team worked on in Kentucky, learn how to prepare your home for floods, and read up on some tips on how you can protect your garden during rainstorms.
Each newsletter comes with a special feature on the services that SERVPRO offers. The service of this quarter: Residential Cleaning Services. Our residential cleaning services will ease the burden of the constant maintenance cleaning home, but will also create a safe, clean, and comfortable living environment for your clients. Our residential cleaning services include carpet and upholstery cleaning, air duct cleaning, odor removal, sewage and biohazard cleanup, and more!
If you’d like to subscribe to receive our full quarterly newsletters, send us a request at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tips for Driving in the Rain
By employing these safe driving techniques, you can keep yourself and your passengers safe during spring drizzles and downpours.
Did you know nearly half (47%) of all weather-related car accidents — more than 700,000 a year — are due to rain? Read below for our tips on how to drive safely in the rain. Here are a few tips to help you drive safely in the rain:
- Avoid pooling water. By splashing through puddles, you can impair your vision and other drivers’. Additionally, standing water often shields potholes and debris from view and it can reduce the effectiveness of your vehicle’s brakes.
- If your car begins to hydroplane, do not brake, or turn the wheel abruptly as this may cause your vehicle to go into a skid or spin. Take your foot off the gas and keep the wheel straight until your car reclaims traction.
- Increase your following distance. Slick roads, wet brakes and reduced visibility can lead to collisions. Give other vehicles plenty of room and brake early with reduced force.
- Don’t use cruise control. It can cause your car to accelerate when hydroplaning and reduces driver attentiveness.
- Drive through the tracks of the car in front of you. This allows the vehicle ahead to displace any standing water that’s on the road.
By employing these safe driving techniques, you can keep yourself and your passengers safe during spring drizzles and downpours. Rainy roads can be dangerous, but if we all slow down and use extra caution, rainy days might be a little brighter.
Storm Safety Tips
We may all love watching a good thunderstorm, but it’s important to know that storms can always be potentially dangerous.
We may all love watching a good thunderstorm, but it’s important to know that storms can always be potentially dangerous. Follow these tips to stay safe during a severe storm:
- Remember that all thunderstorms all have lightning, so it’s best to stay indoors. Just because you don’t see lightning doesn’t mean it’s not there; when there’s thunder, lightning always follows.
- During storms, stay away from windows and avoid bathing or showering. In the case of severe thunderstorms or tornadoes, make sure that you have an emergency kit prepared for your family. It’s also important to know your evacuation plan as well.
- Remember the saying “turn around, don’t drown” anytime you see possible flooding. Never attempt to drive through moving water, because it doesn’t take much to carry your car away.
- Flood waters can also cover roads so much that they could be completely washed away, yet you would never know until it’s too late.
There are a number of dangers that can come into play in a thunderstorm. It’s always best to be cautious and put things on hold until storms safely pass. If storms cause damage to your home or business, the SERVPRO team is ready to respond 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
The SERVPRO Disaster Recovery Team
The SERVPRO Disaster Recovery Team can provide help whether it’s a tornado, hurricane, blizzard, or flood.
The SERVPRO Disaster Recovery Team can provide help whether it’s a tornado, hurricane, blizzard, or flood. Storms and inclement weather can be devastating to any business. Wind damage, heavy rain, and flooding can occur suddenly and cause substantial damage in a matter of minutes. SERVPRO of Ft. Wayne has the training, experience, and equipment to handle large commercial storm or water damage emergencies. Regardless of your property type or size, our team members will respond quickly to clean the property and manage the restoration project through to its completion.
Our team’s elite large-loss specialists are prequalified and strategically positioned throughout Michigan and Indiana to handle any size disaster your commercial property may face. If you’re a commercial property manager, you can count on the SERVPRO Disaster Recovery team to handle any size commercial loss.
Fire Damage in Your Commercial Property
Fire damage is especially devastating for a business or commercial property.
Fire damage is especially devastating for a business or commercial property. No one expects a fire to happen in their business but it’s important to be prepared if a fire does occur. You can alleviate some of the stress and confusion during a fire by knowing to call SERVPRO. Our team at SERVPRO has trained technicians and equipment to specialize in the following commercial fire services:
- Fire and Smoke Restoration
- Facility Board-ups
- Odor Control
- Structural Cleaning
- Upholstery and Fabric Cleaning
- Contents Cleaning
- Water Damage Restoration
Our team is committed to providing superior service while restoring your fire damaged property. If your commercial facility experiences a fire, the team at SERVPRO of Ft. Wayne can restore your property back to pre-fire condition. Call our team today at 260-255-6271.
Water Damage Tips
Follow these tips to learn what you should and should not do before trained professionals are on site.
If your property experiences unexpected water damage, wanting to take action is a common response, but not everything you do can be safe or helpful. Follow these tips to learn what you should and should not do before trained professionals are on site.
What To Do After Water Damage
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Water Damage
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang fur and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.
When you have extreme water damage in your home or business, the trained professionals at SERVPRO can get your property back to preloss condition. Call SERVPRO of Ft. Wayne today at 260-255-6271.
Grease fires are the most dangerous when it comes to cooking fires.
Grease fires are the most dangerous when it comes to cooking fires and are responsible for 1 in every 5 home fire deaths. Below are some tips on how to put out grease fires. These tips could help save your or a loved one's life.
Putting Out a Grease Fire
- Turn off source of heat
- Do NOT pour water on it. Water and oil do not mix and when you add water it will sink right to the bottom and evaporate instantly, spreading flaming oil everywhere.
- Attempt to remove all oxygen from the flame. Cover with another pot or baking pan.
- If you cannot cover it, dump lots of baking soda on it.
If you do experience fire damage from a grease fire in your home, the team at SERVPRO are fire restoration specialists. Call us today at 260-255-6271.
Our Carpet Cleaning Options
SERVPRO can clean your carpet!
SERVPRO can clean your carpet! Our team offers a range of specialized cleaning methods:
- The carpet is lightly sprayed with a cleaning solution.
- A rotary extractor with a “bonnet,” a pad used to pull dirt from the carpet.
- Cleans carpet with quick drying time.
Hot Water Extraction
- Deep restorative cleaning for light to moderate cleaning.
- Truck-mount or portable extraction unit applies cleaning solution with hot water while vacuuming the carpet.
- Helps to promote longer carpet life.
Deluxe Precondition and Rinse
- Moderate to heavy soiling, pre-treat and rinse
- Soil emulsifier sprayed on carpet, setting for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Extraction unit removes soil and cleaning agent via a vacuuming carpet wand.
- Restorative method of cleaning- excellent for water damaged carpets.
Showcase Premier Cleaning
- Moderate to heavy soil levels, the most thorough cleaning method.
- Two-step process:
- Shampooing the carpet
- Rinse and extract the entire carpet for deep cleaning
- Most thorough cleaning method in the industry; cleans when other methods may not work.
If your carpet or upholstery hasn’t been cleaned in the past year or two, it probably needs a professional cleaning by the trained specialists at SERVPRO of Ft. Wayne.
Choose SERVPRO to Handle Your Flood Damage
Dealing with flood water can be a time-consuming mess.
Dealing with flood water can be a time-consuming mess. While total prevention may not be possible, being prepared can minimize damage.
Indiana is known for its constant changes in weather, making our homes an easy target for storm damage. That’s why our team at SERVPRO of Ft. Wayne are ready to help 24/7. Whether your home or business is affected by flood damage, your property needs specialized equipment and techniques to restore it back to its pre-damaged condition.
Our technicians have been specially trained to handle these sorts of unique situations to help get your life back to normal as soon as possible. Storm damage can include not only water damage but mold damage, too. It may seem like a daunting challenge to overcome, but SERVPRO has the resources and tools to restore your property and make it “Like it never even happened.”
Mold Damage Tips
If you have a mold problem in your home or business, consider the facts.
If you have a mold problem in your home or business, consider the following facts:
- Significant mold growth can occur in 48-72 hours.
- Mold may present a greater risk to children, the elderly, and anyone with respiratory problems.
- A strong, musty odor may indicate hidden mold behind drywall or under carpeting.
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact SERVPRO of Saginaw / Bay City for mold remediation services.
What Not to Do:
- Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
- Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
If you suspect that your home or business has a mold problem, SERVPRO of Ft. Wayne has the training, equipment, and expertise to handle the situation.