Recent Fire Damage Posts

Prevent Oven Fires

2/1/2023 (Permalink)

Oven with towel draped over handle. Accidents in the kitchen can happen but they can be prevented.

Accidents in the kitchen can happen but they can be prevented. Keep the heart of your kitchen happy and healthy with these oven maintenance tips. 

How to prevent oven fires:  

  • Make sure your oven is clean before each use. 
  • Do not leave cooking food unattended. 
  • When making cakes, cookies, or pastries, put a slightly larger baking tray underneath your baking pan to prevent batter dripping onto the bottom of the oven.  
  • Cover any food that might splatter. 
  • When roasting meat, drain some of the hot grease by removing pan from the oven every 30 minutes.  
  • Get your oven checked out by a professional to make sure it is working correctly if there are any noticeable issues while using the oven. 

If your oven does catch fire, it’s crucial to contain the smoke and flames. By leaving the oven door closed and turning off the oven, you are starving the fire, increasing the chances of safely containing a fire. Opening the oven door will only cause the fire to expand and cause more damage. 

If you happen to suffer from a kitchen fire, SERVPRO is “Here to help” when disaster strikes. 

Odor Removal

7/19/2022 (Permalink)

Technician next to deodorization equipment. Masking and other shortcuts don't work when your odor problem is serious or persistent.

Has a nearby home or business had a fire that left you with soot or fire damage odor? We can help. As experts in deodorization, SERVPRO of Ft. Wayne is trained to identify and eliminate odors left behind after property fire damage. Masking and other shortcuts don't work when your odor problem is serious or persistent. 

SERVPRO has the training and equipment to identify and eliminate these offensive odors. By identifying the cause of the odor, and determining the conditions where it contacts surfaces, the odor can often be removed over time without a trace. Our technicians have access to several odor removal products capable of penetrating surfaces to neutralize any unpleasant odor thoroughly. 

The science of identifying and eliminating odors can be a tricky thing. Call SERVPRO of Ft. Wayne at 260-255-6271 and leave the fire damage odor removal to us. 

Grease Fires

3/11/2022 (Permalink)

Grease stained stove top. Grease fires are the most dangerous when it comes to cooking fires.

Grease fires are the most dangerous when it comes to cooking fires and are responsible for 1 in every 5 home fire deaths. Below are some tips on how to put out grease fires. These tips could help save your or a loved one's life. 

Putting Out a Grease Fire  

  • Turn off source of heat  
  • Do NOT pour water on it. Water and oil do not mix and when you add water it will sink right to the bottom and evaporate instantly, spreading flaming oil everywhere.  
  • Attempt to remove all oxygen from the flame. Cover with another pot or baking pan.  
  • If you cannot cover it, dump lots of baking soda on it. 

If you do experience fire damage from a grease fire in your home, the team at SERVPRO are fire restoration specialists. Call us today at 260-255-6271. 

Potential Fire Hazards in Your Home

3/1/2022 (Permalink)

Hand in orange gloved cleaning range hood. Fire hazards come in all shapes and sizes.

Fire hazards come in all shapes and sizes. Below are a few common but overlooked potential hazards that could cause a house fire. 

  • Improperly storing batteries: Storing 9-volt batteries in your kitchen junk drawer might be putting your home and family at risk. When loose batteries roll around with other metals such as paper clips or screws, the two terminals could short out, possibly generating enough heat to ignite flammables nearby. If storing the batteries in the original package is not an option, place a piece of electrical tape over the terminal to prevent this possibility.  
  • Unwanted guests: Rodents like mice and rats like to chew on electrical wires to control the length of their teeth. Over time, they can remove the sheathing, this leaves the wires exposed. The electrical current travelling through the wire generates heat and if the wire is exposed this could lead to sparks, which in turn could ignite the surrounding surface. Call an exterminator if you suspect you have rodents.  
  • Forgetting the chimney sweep: There are common causes of chimney fires, such as dead birds, raccoon nests, cracked mortar and built-up creosote. The National Fire Protection Association recommends professional chimney sweep at least once a year. Also, when building a fire in your fireplace, never light it with kerosene. Always use an approved fire starter.  
  • Overlooking the range hood: Ovens and cook tops are the most common sources of kitchen fires. But range hoods are also a potential threat. Grease builds up over time and can drip down onto the cook top, possibly starting a fire. These flames could easily reach your cabinets and before you know it your kitchen could be engulfed. Regularly clean and maintain your range hood to keep your kitchen out of harm’s way.  
  • Furniture arrangement: Furniture placed too close to a wood stove could spontaneously ignite. Pyrolysis is the chemical decomposition of a combustible item. This occurs when an object is continually exposed to a heat source and dries out. This leading-yet seldom considered cause of fires does not even require a direct flame. It only takes heat and time. 

If you experience fire damage in your home, the trained professionals at SERVPRO can get your property back to pre-fire condition. Call SERVPRO of Ft. Wayne today at 260-255-6271.